Gary King Sr
The work of deacons involves a wide range of services for the church, including:
- Deacons are usually responsible for welcoming members and visitors as they enter the church and for assisting them, where necessary, to find seats. They also cooperate with the pastor and elders for smooth functioning of all meetings.
- Visitation is arranged by distributing membership by districts and assigning a deacon to each district with the expectation that he will visit each home at least once a quarter.
- Deacons make necessary preparations for baptismal services.
- At the celebration of the ordinance of foot-washing, the deacons or deaconess provide everything needed for the service, such as towels, basins, water, and buckets.
- After the service they see that the utensils and linen are washed and properly stored.
- Deacons are charged with assisting the sick, poor, and unfortunate and should keep the church informed of their needs and enlist the support of members.
- Deacons are responsible for the care and maintenance of church property.